Friday, February 4, 2011

Swamp Thing


I did this drawing for an old friend who has been pestering me about it on and off for three years. I was recently re-reading the Moore/Bissette/Totleben comics (the stories are still very creepy and very relevant) and I gave it a shot. Even dismembered I can't make Arcane look as creepy as those guys did, and after drawing all those leaves I know why those guys took several months off here and there.

I usually don't go for internet memes, but this one seemed really interesting. it's like a fun cliff notes version of the autobiography parts of a thesis. I was a little surprised at how much I was influenced by certain things while others were kinda no-brainers.


I almost left out Robert Williams for no really good reason. I have been accused of ripping him off on several occasions, mostly for work I did before I knew he existed. He is very skilled at offering intellectual and a relevant defense of making pictures. He's pretty unapologetic about his work and was hacking it out like a real man before "lowbrow" became an obnoxious buzzword. Anyone who is interested in that type of work and "isn't really into Robert Williams" or at the very least has an understanding and respect for his importance is to be avoided at all costs. Teh same goes for the guys who are "really into comics" and don't like Jack Kirby. Morons to be avoided at all costs.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Swamp Thing during the Moore and Veitch was so densely layered, you get a lot more out of those issues by reading along with the Swamp Thing Annotations at www.tinyurl.com/readswampthing

Marcus Howell said...

That is a mighty collection of annotations.